POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 and the STL. : Re: POV 4 and the STL. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 and the STL.
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 10 Mar 2001 05:32:32
Message: <3aaa02c0@news.povray.org>
I consult for living and I use the SGI STL (v 3.2).

Just to give you the idea, STL is employed in production software by my
largest client, which is a survellilance systems firm (Guyana ESA space
center is monitored by their equipment...).

SGI STL compiles and works correctly even with that pile of brown stuff (tm)
called MSVC++ 6.

If you stay clear from the most "exotic" parts (i.e. partial template
specialization) and do not rely upon the compiler to handle correctly
namespaces (do not write min, write std::min even if you have a using
namespace std;, redundant but harmless), everything is OK, at least for the
needs of a "normal" applications.

I have not tried STLPort, but as it is derived from SGI STL, I expect it to
be almost straight forward to use.

Alessandro Coppo
a.c### [at] iolit

P.S.: if "The Team" starts rewriting collections and so from scratch, my
prediction of 3.5 out for 4Q2001 is too optimistic by at least 6 months ;-)